Story Book Favorites

The Good Demon

I chose this as one of my favorites I clicked through because the title was such an oxymoron at first glance. Reading further in the intro, you know this good demon's name is Ghatotkacha, and learn this oxymoron is actually true. This is because as humans, we simply have a stereotype of what a demon is, and what we think a demon isn't engraved in our brain. In the introduction the author gives a brief argument as to why they believes we as humans have adapted into this ubiquitous belief on "demons". I thought the author's introduction and page layout was remarkable in sucking the reader into more interest for the story.

Inserted image by the author of Ghatotkacha's death. Wikimedia



I clicked on this story book simply because as a kid I loved watching Looney Tunes as a kid at my grandparents' house. When my parents went out of town and we stayed with them, I would actually watch Looney Tunes all morning long, probably rewatching the same episodes every now and then. You can tell that this author's story book from the introduction is probably going to be a little goofy, but that's the fun in it! Scrolling through the intro, I saw many names that were familiar like Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny, and some pictures like the one of Yosemite Sam. I thought the author's layout seemed a bit general on the page, but I thought the idea and plot were creative.

Author's photo of Yosemite Sam. Flickr

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Missing River

The Sherlock Holmes twist engaged me originally, because I am familiar with who Sherlock Holmes is and his associate Watson. Clicking on the intro instantly gave me that Sherlock Holmes vibe to the story though. Everything on the page was dull, black, or white, except for the picture at the top of the page, the scarlet hand. Which cleverly was also the title of the introduction. Upon finishing the introduction I noticed how much I wanted to read the rest of the story. So many cliff hanger questions! Who was the dead lady? What was on the caption of the letter? WHAT is Sherlock hiding??

You can see how well a bloody hand print can stand out on such an unremarkable page. The Scarlet Hand



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Preston's Biochemistry Experience

Week 3 Story: Super Mario Bros